Description: A map surveying the New Helvetia Cemetery in 1915 by civil engineer Joseph Charles Boyd. Captain John Sutter established the New Helvetia Cemetery in 1849 and it was the first cemetery in Sacramento. Many years after the establishment of the cemetery, Sacramento officials discussed removing the cemetery due to flooding and city redevelopment. In 1917, the city purchased the Chinese portion of the cemetery and had a thousand Chinese bodies exhumed and sent back to China during the months of August to October. Following the removal of Chinese bodies, the city removed many tombstones and plaques. Poor city planning led to these items becoming lost, stolen, or disposed of. In 1956, city officials had all the bodies exhumed and relocated to Sacramento City Cemetery or East Lawn Memorial Park. The land now serves as the site of East Sacramento's Sutter Middle School.